Questions about the works of the Algerian-born French philosopher and author Albert Camus (1913 – 1960) or his life as a writer. His works should be tagged with [french-literature]. He is best known for his works 'The Stranger', 'The Plague' and others.
Albert Camus started his writing career as a journalist, and published both works of literature and philosophy:
- L’Étranger (1942, The Stranger): his first novel;
- Le Mythe de Sisyphe (1942; The Myth of Sisyphus): a philosophical essay;
- Le Malentendu (1943; The Misunderstanding): a play;
- Caligula (1944): a play;
- Lettres à un ami allemand (1945);
- La Peste (1947; The Plague): a novel;
- L'État de siège (1948; The State of Siege): a play;
- Les Justes (1949; The Just Assassins or The Righteous): a play;
- L'Homme révolté (1951): philosophy;
- La Chute (1956): a philosophical novel;
- L'exil et le royaume (1957; Exile and the Kingdom): a collection of short stories;
- Les Possédés (1959; The Possessed): a play based on Dostoyevski's novel The Possessed;
- La mort heureuse (1971; A Happy Death): a novel;
- Le Premier homme (1994; The First Man): an unfinished novel.