Trümmerliteratur is a literary movement that originated in Germany shortly after the Second World War. What are typical charactaristics of Trümmerliteratur? How can a work that is Trümmerliteratur be recognized as such?
Typical charactaristics of Trümmerliteratur are:
- The works are written within a few years after the end of the Second World War.
- The work concernes the question of guilt of the war and the Holocaust.
- One of the goals of the work is to warn for repeation.
- The literary style is radically different from some styles form a while before the Second World War. However, some elements of older literary movements still come back, such as the Romanticism (Romantik) and Expressionism (Expressionismus).
- The work is realistic, unpsychological and truthful. There are no ideologies.
- The work describes the ruins (Trümmer) of Germany after the war ended.