What is the term for the literary device in fiction writing that weaves references to another 'work' (either fictional or non-fictional) in the narrative, e.g. Fantastic Beasts and Where to Find Them by J.K. Rowling, which describes magical creatures that supposedly exists in the world of Harry Potter?

  • 1
    "References to another work" is a little vague, and could be called intertextuality. But it sounds like you might mean something more specific - are you looking specifically for a term for real books which supposedly exist in-universe? – Rand al'Thor Jan 18 '19 at 9:04
  • Yes, but not necessarily real books. Perhaps another example would be in Wallace Stegner's novel Angle of Repose with the use of letters from the narrator's grandmother in piecing together the marriage between his grandparents. – D Chan Jan 18 '19 at 10:08
  • I haven't read that particular novel, but a book in the form of a series of letters would probably be an epistolary novel. – Rand al'Thor Jan 18 '19 at 11:57
  • The book isn't about the series of letters. There's a narrator-a retired, disabled historian-reflecting on his own life and that of his grandparents. He goes through his grandmother's letters, recalls her published writings and illustrations, and he does a little sleuthing. The contents of the letters are revealed only in part, with some imaginative construction as to how he imagines events, based on his own astute observation of human nature and memories of his grandparents. Ultimately, the book is about his insight into the marriage vis-a-vis his own failed relationships. – D Chan Jan 18 '19 at 13:27
  • I don't know of any special name for these works. TV Tropes just describes them as "Fictional Documents". – Gareth Rees Jan 19 '19 at 16:56

Your Answer

By clicking “Post Your Answer”, you agree to our terms of service, privacy policy and cookie policy

Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.