I am learning English and for that purpose (among other things) I want to read a few novels. I have made a list of novels selected by personal taste, but since I am still learning, I am afraid that some of them (written by overseas or 19th century authors) may be not suitable for me (since, at this stage, I want to focus in modern British English). Could you confirm/discard if they are written in a suitable English (from that point of view)? I hesitate about the following books:
- J.M. Coetzee (born in South Africa in 1940 but lived in several other English-speaking countries): Elizabeth Costello.
- S. Rushdie (British Indian novelist, born 1947): Midnight's Children.
- R.K. Narayan (1906 - 2001, India): several novels.
- E.M. Forster (1879 - 1970, England): Howards End.
- Ford Madox Ford (1873 - 1939, England): Parade's End.
- John Galsworthy (1867 - 1933, England): The Forsyte Saga.
- Henry James (1843 - 1916, USA): several novels.