I read a book in the 80s or 90s that I had thought was "The Talisman". I've just finished reading "The Talisman" and found that it wasn't the book I had read back then, though there are many similarities.
Here are some of the elements of the story that I'm trying to identify:
- The main character was a young boy
- The boy was dealing with two worlds/realities and I think flipped back and forth
- The boy had to make a trek across a fair distance of America on his quest
- There were creatures from either the alternate world or beyond that were working for the bad guy and trying to find the boy in our world ("The Talisman" doesn't really have anything like this)
- The creatures were some kind of black goblins/demons, and camouflaged themselves as scraps of tire rubber on the sides of roads (This always stuck with me and is the major component that I remember that was missing from "The Talisman")
- I had thought that the author was a Horror author doing a Modern Fantasy book, but maybe that was just because I had it mixed up with "The Talisman"
Now, I've enjoyed reading "The Talisman", but I'd really like to reread whatever book it is that I'm remembering, since I've plainly forgotten a lot about it despite having really enjoyed it.