I'm sorry but my memory is quite spotty on this but I'm obsessed with trying to remember this book. I don't remember the author or title at all. I barely remember a few things.
- the main character was a man who I think was a stage magician but there was always this ambiguity about whether or not the magic he did was real or if it was all just tricks. This wasn't a fantasy novel. It almost had a bit of psychic or occult feel.
- I seem to recall that a lot of the story revolved about this man and his relationship with two other women, sometimes at the same time.
- there was something on the back cover blurb about "sense of wonder"
- I have a vague recollection of the book cover. It was orange and blue (and green?). It may have been published by Penguin
- I read the book in the mid-1990s and there is a good chance that I bought this book at an English bookstore somewhere in Europe (Spain, Italy, or France).
- the edition of the book I had was a trade paperback
- the overall feel of the book seemed to be like Hemmingway (but not depressing) or the movie Vicky Cristina Barcelona.
That's about all I can remember now. Any hints at finding this book would be appreciated.