I recently begun re-reading the Lord of the Rings trilogy. I'm over halfway through The Fellowship of the Ring now. In spite of having the story in "fresh memory", I still can't remember the details, or didn't understand them to begin with. I did read it carefully, and I know everything that happened, but I have a bad concept of when it happened, in relation to each other.
I'm trying to create a simple "timeline" which states, not using years but rather the ages of Bilbo/Frodo, or the relative time when:
- Bilbo leaves for his original journey. (Not described in detail in the trilogy.)
- Bilbo comes back from his original journey. (Not described in detail in the trilogy.)
- Bilbo leaves for good. (This one I know Bilbo's age for: 111. Not sure about Frodo's.)
- Bilbo arrives at Rivendell, apparently from just walking around randomly and openly in spite of the dangers. (This confused me as well, even though he no longer had the Ring.)
- Frodo leaves with his friends and the ponies, first to his fake "new home" and soon after on the great adventure.
- Frodo arrives at Rivendell and meets Bilbo, apparently after not seeing him for a long time. (To me, it seemed like at most a couple of years, or even months.)
I'd much appreciate to get the ages of both hobbits for these moments, or alternatively the time that has passed between each point. (Ideally, both!)