A couple years ago, I read a book which I would like to revisit.
I don't remember much, but here's what I have.
- Setting is Ancient Egypt
- One of the primary characters is a Pharaoh or other reputable monarch (definitely female)
- Religion is a major aspect of the book
- Plot may have been a mystery
- A general or important leader in battle was commanded to (graphic/mature)
remove the penises of the fallen enemy soldiers as a political display... I think they were collected in a basket. I remember this vividly because it was surprising in the story.
- The characters visited a necropolis
- The reading level / lexile level is high / relatively complex
- A brief search brings up Nefertiti and The Assassins of Isis as potential starting places (?) but these authors have also written many similar works which may be of no relation.
- The book was written before 2014, in English. It was in the public, town library.